Each year the MBL hosts over 400 international scholars from more than 40 different countries who come to the Laboratory to participate in a variety of scientific research and advanced graduate-level programs.  Many foreign national visitors come together with their family members, all of whom need visas to enter the US. The specific type of visa needed is defined by US immigration law and relates to the purpose of travel.

The Human Resources Office, with support from the Office of Education and Financial Services, is the main administrative and advising office on all visa matters and has developed these web pages to help answer visa questions.  In addition, the HR Office provides information on a wide range of other issues such as health insurance, employment of spouses, and community resources.

To determine which type of visa is best for coming to the MBL, consider the purpose of your visit.  MBL is only able to process visas for officially sanctioned MBL students, faculty, lecturers, teaching assistants, scientists collaborating in year-round laboratories, employees, and Research Award recipients.

For more information, see TYPES OF VISAS.